Sunday 25 March 2012

Hey, how you doing?

It's been over a month since I last blogged, and I know some people are getting a bit antsy, barely containing their desire to bang on my door, shouting "WE NEED SOMETHING TO READ!"

I had my one year anniversary of my first full-time job at the start of this month.
It happened at the grand old age of 24, not because I have commitment issues with working for any one company too long, but due to the fact that, until two years ago, I was surfing on the wave of educational one-upmanship that dictated my work patterns. I could only work full time during holidays, which gave way to part-time hours during term time.

I had a hard time adapting to full-time work for the first few months. My year as a freelancer was much like my uni years in that I would work late hours, travel a lot and spend a lot of time in bed.
When regular, unrelenting work and commuting took over, I thought I would make myself stressed with the monotony of it all. I'd never had an ID card, an oyster card, a lunch hour or a commute, but a year down the line I've found it passable, and going to work on a Monday isn't a chore or something to dread, It's the beginning of a new week where i get to enjoy working with the great people around me, and letting any stress of the day wash over me when I clock out.

I get reminded of how lucky I am to even have work when I meet with friends who are struggling to get full-time permanent work and have to rely on part-time, temporary or project work. That's not to say I don't sometimes miss being freelance; chasing work and getting the satisfaction at the end of a week of a job well done, ready to move onto the next project. But at least in the rat race I know how much I'm getting paid each month.

No comments:

Post a Comment