Saturday 23 February 2013

Try, try again

I've got even worse at keeping this blog up to date, but I'm going to have another bash at this gig.

Plenty to mention and muse upon this past year, attending six weddings, turning a quarter century, changing jobs and house and most recently breaking my 9-year travel drought by exploring Scandanavia using just trains.

The biggest thing i suppose was changing job and moving back to the valleys.
Moving to London last year was a necessary move as I was only scraping by as a freelancer, but the new job felt increasingly more like a social life-sentence. Though it allowed me to save lots of money thanks to living at home, spending 4 hours commuting and working the evening shift and the odd weekend meant I didn't see friends for weeks on end, even when they lived just round the corner.
As well as this, my progression within the company seemed stifled as I was in a useful role for the company but I wanted something more interesting and challenging. I applied for a few internal roles, but lost out for whatever reasons. I could have played the long game and got there in 5 years, but I was impatient for something more challenging and instead accepted a job back in Wales, working for the dark side of the force; a sound company. The new job offered better money and prospects, and a return to independence. Things are looking up!

No comments:

Post a Comment